Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Module 4 - YouTube

I'm quite familiar with YouTube in terms of searching and playing videos. This time a played a bit more with the added features - share, commentary etc. It meant I was a bit more creative about what i searched for. Joy of joys - I found this:
Homefront Theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHgvhVTTTrw

Homefront was a TV show I adored. I faithfully stayed up until 11:30pm, 1am, 12:38am or whatever time it was playing at for the period it was aired in Australia.
Every now and then I've searched the Internet for news of its release on DVD to no avail. Suddenly, thanks to YouTube, I can at least hear the theme song and see the credits again.
It does raise the issue of legalities though. I'm quite sure that that's been posted in contravention of copyright. It's just occured to me that posting it here is probably too (I'll go and check in a minute). It's one of the many reasons to be careful about your use of and promotion of Youtube. I heard recently that Youtube were trying to arrange copyright deals with major studios and broadcasting companies. Maybe those concerns will be effectively dealt with in the near future. In the meantime, I love being able to view the special moments of tv shows I've loved, funny ads, interviews etc. While there's an awful lot of rubbish (please no more school projects) the "How to..." videos have saved my neck more than once when I faced a new computer program.

No comments: