Thursday, September 4, 2008

Module 6

Social networking sites are an excellent idea. The connections they make between people are amazing. It does make teaching Information Literacy (especially online safety) even more crucial though. It would be great if schools and libraries could adopt these tools and teach kids how to use them rather than ban them and leave them to learn by trial and error. I was about to provide you with a link to my Facebook page but this course has reinforced to me the need to be careful of how much of yourself is online. Perhaps I’ve never thought of how much about me is 'out there' if you were able to link it together. So, to be on the safe side, you'll have to find my Facebook by chance!

I love the way Drupal seems to provide a more secure environment in which to start them off. I think it is like a tool we have a work. I'll have to check with our IT guys. I'm still not very fluent in the terminology!

I've heard so much about second life but avoided it like the plague because I'm an addictive type character and have enough trouble coping with this world. Now I’ve seen it – wow! I had not thought about the real world and the virtual world overlapping so much. It bends the mind just a little too much for me at the moment. Trading Linden dollars for American ones! I can definitely see how advertisers like it. The idea of testing new architectural designs etc is also brilliant, but the idea of shopping in it is beyond me. What an amazing new realm to explore though.

Finally, Skype is fantastic. Although I haven’t had the courage to buy phone credits I have Skyped with my friend in New York (a great way to plan my trip to see her) and chatted with my parents online. What a fantastic resource for people with loved ones spread around the world. It’s motivated me to go and invest in a webcam.

I love the way Drupal seems to provide a more secure environment in which to start them off. I think it is like a tool we have a work. I'll have to check with our IT guys. I'm still not very ofay with the terminology!

I've heard so much about second life but avoided it like the plague becasue I'm an adictive type character.

No comments: