Thursday, September 4, 2008

Module 5 - Google Maps

Google maps is heaps of fun. I could 'visit' my sister in Germany, my friend in New York and see that my parents needed to mow their lawn when the shots of their street were taken. I hadn't realised that Google Maps came with directions. I'd only really accessed it for fun. It seems really logical now to assume that they did provide directions.
There are a few problems with it though. Appart from the obvious concerns with street footage placed on the world wide web, Google Maps thinks like a computer. The directions which Google provided to send me from home to work took me up the steepest dirt road in Melbourne which any human would know to avoid by following the natural curve of the road rather than the 'straightest path' route that Google recommended. My address is also wrong, clear proof that it's still a work in progress, but what a tool!

No comments: